The club was formed in 1896 under the name Caledonian,
During the season 1950-51 an extraordinary AGM
was held at Linden Grove to discuss the name of the club. It was then
Hartlepool Caledonians Hockey Club (HCHC) was formed and was primarily
a ladies team.
Pre 1960's the hockey club held their general meetings
at players houses until March 1962 when the club became a section of
the West Hartlepool Cricket and Sports Club still retaining the name
At the 63/64 AGM it was decided that HCHC ladies
would run two teams during the up and coming season. The club had gained
new members due to the disbanding of the local TDSOB club.
The 60's were hard times for the club. The sport was becoming ever more popular
but the funds were low. In an event that would never happen during
the present day it decided at the 65/66 AGM that members would
make the wrap-over skirts rather than buying them.
In 1966/67 West Hartlepool Cricket and Sports Club disbanded
and emerged as Hartlepool Cricket Club were we still play from
to the present day.
Tense moment in Saturday's district hockey tournament at Grayfields
as Richardson's, Westgarth defend vigorously against Caledonians
Hartlepool Caledonians through the 70's and 80's
were often involved in tournaments, festivals and cups. In 1976 Calies
joined the Durham Clubs Knockout Cup and to this date a Calies player
is the main organiser. An American team even toured and played Calies
in Easter 74. In consecutive years 80, 81, 82 and 83 the ladies team
toured Southend. During the August Bank Holiday in 1984 Calies organised
their first festival. This wouldn't be their last.
|The 1987-88 season seen
the ladies team join the Durham County Woman's Hockey Association
league. The team continues to play in the first division of this
As the sport grew and the success of
the team increased, the ladies winning the End of Season tournament
and the Indoor plate, the need for sponsorship was becoming evident.
In 1992 Willie Maddren become the main sponsor of the ladies team.
Team selection paper snippets for season 1947 - 1948
The success of the ladies team continued in 92
when they won the Indoor League but this was just the start of things
to come. In 93 they cleaned up as League winners, K/O Cup finalists,
Beginning of Season tournament finalists and Indoor league and cup winners.
What a season to remember.
On the 27th January 1996 Hartlepool Caledonians
and the Seaton Men's hockey team held a centenary bash to celebrate
100 years of hockey in Hartlepool. It was held at Seaton Cricket Club
and will be remembered for the fun and frolics in our very own episode
of Blind Date!
The 98/99 season it was decided that both the ladies
and men's team would combine into the one club. A general meeting was
held on 13th September 1999 to officially decide the merger and it was
passed. In 2000 the combined clubs retained the name Hartlepool Caledonians
Hockey Club. The club colours were also merged, green from the ladies
strip and maroon from the men's strip forming the new club colours that
you see used on this web site today.